We had a little January thaw last week. The temps reached 54 degrees and hung out there for a couple of days- just crazy weather for Vermont in winter. The squirrels ventured out of their dens and partied in our backyard like it was a beach vacation, hanging out on the patio furniture and stuffing their cheeks with acorns they dug up from the newly softened ground. Apparently, even the sap ran for a few days! A little taste of things to come in just a few short weeks. But for now, the temps are back to a more reasonable 25 degrees, so I believe it’s time to offer a new cocktail to help us stay warm and hygge as we hunker down for the remainder of winter. Here’s a twist on a pear martini, using a couple of my favorite VT things- Vermont Gold Vodka from Vermont Spirits and Runamok Vermont Maple Syrup!
- ½ oz Vermont Gold Vodka
- 1 oz pear nectar
- ½ oz pear brandy (Calvados apple brandy works well too)
- ½ oz Runamok Sugarmaker’s Cut maple syrup
- ½ oz fresh lemon juice
- Pear slice to garnish
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Add vodka, pear nectar, brandy, maple syrup and lemon juice.
- Shake well and strain into a martini glass.
- Garnish with slice of fresh pear.
Check out the websites of Vermont Spirits and Runamok Maple