Cake or bread? Loaf pan or springform pan? Either…or both! No matter how you (literally) slice it, this Pistachio Spice Cake is good and easy; you will eat it toasted for breakfast and then you will top it with sweetened yogurt and eat it again for dessert.
The irresistible spice blend I used in this cake is called Orchidea N. 34, one of the spice blends that I ordered from La Boîte after tasting it at a recent dinner at our beloved Honey Road in Burlington VT. This special dinner featured the cooking and spice blends of Chef and spice master Lior Lev Sercarz of La Boîte, and the flavors were amazing. Spice blends so unique and different to me, but somehow vaguely.. familiar?
I bought his cookbook, “The Spice Companion” and then I bought some spice blends, and I’ve been playing around with them since. The book is fascinating – I’ve been reading about how to select and source spices, store them properly, grind and toast them for best results and, even some of the principles behind blending them. It touches on some of the spices that flavored my childhood, like mahleb, ground from the pit of a particular cherry, and mastik, a resin that comes from the bark of an evergreen tree that grows only on the Greek island of Chios. (I remember chewing it like gum as a young child. For me, a home cook who loves to experiment with new flavors, I’m rolling up my sleeves and having some fun! It’s my idea of fun anyway 🙂 Next up to try- Ararat N. 35
- 1½ cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons La Boîte Orchidea spice blend N.34
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ⅓ cup pistachios, finely ground
- Yogurt topping:
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon La Boîte Orchidea spice blend N.34
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Spray and flour a loaf pan or 8-inch springform pan
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, Orchidea spice blend and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the sugar, lime zest, yogurt, oil, eggs and vanilla until well blended.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until well blended. Fold in the ground pistachios.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and bake for about 50-55 minutes until toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool briefly then turn onto a cooling rack.
- To make yogurt topping, whisk all ingredients in a small bowl and serve alongside the spice cake.