Shepherd’s Pie is comfort food for trying times. Spiced with cumin and turmeric, this is a belly warming dish that can be made in advance and heated up before serving.
Shepherd's Pie Spiced with Cumin and Turmeric
Author: Lisa Cassell-Arms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 2 ribs celery, finely diced
- 1 large clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 lbs ground beef, or combination beef, turkey and veal
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 5 large Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 6 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup milk
- 3 cups frozen corn
- 1 - 1½ cups cheddar or swiss cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil. Add onion, carrots and celery and sauté until soft and onions are translucent. Add garlic, cumin, turmeric, chili powder, paprika and tomato paste and sauté until garlic is soft but not browned. Add ground meat and sauté until just browned. Add vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. Set meat mixture aside.
- Bring large stock pot of water to a boil. Add potatoes and boil until soft. Drain potatoes into a large bowl and cool for about 5 minutes. With a potato masher, mash potatoes until somewhat smooth, add butter, salt and pepper to taste, and mash. With a handheld mixer, beat potatoes, adding milk slowly. Beat until smooth (some lumps are good!) Set potatoes aside.
- In a large baking dish (or individual ramekins), spread meat mixture on the bottom. Distribute frozen corn on top of meat. Heap mashed potatoes on top of corn and spread to cover with a spatula. Spread grated cheese over the top of the mashed potatoes and sprinkle with a dash of paprika, salt and pepper.
- Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes until bubbling on the edges and top is browned. Let the Shepherd's Pie sit for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with a crisp green salad with mustard vinaigrette.
- Serves 6-8